Are Your Priorities in Order?
One thing that can hurt your relationship with God, you, your marriage and your family is when your priorities are out of order. In order to maintain healthy relationships you must have your priorities in order. The question for this week is; “Are your priorities in order?” I don’t know about you but my answer to this question changes because this can be a challenge.
The word priority can be defined as; 1) Something given special attention 2) The right to precede others in order, rank, privilege, etc. God wants us to be people of order. I Corinthians 14:40 says, “Let all things be done decently and in order.” If we are going to practice this principle we have to identify our priorities and learn to adjust our time and our schedules accordingly.
Our lives are constantly changing and as the days go by, we must evaluate how are we doing with managing our priorities. If you are not intentional about making time for your priorities, time will slip away. One of the things that helps to put me on track is doing a priority check. The following is a check list that may help to guide you on listing your priorities.
- God – Seek God first in all that you do and He will help you to identify and take care of the rest of your priorities. Start each day with prayer and spend time with God first. Is God your first priority? (Matthew 6:33)
- Yourself – Yes you! If you don’t take care of you, you will not be in a good position to take care of anyone else. Be sure to nourish your self with healthy food, water, exercise, rest, learn to strengthen yourself. Are you taking good care of you? (Proverbs 31:17)
- Husband/Wife – If you are married, your spouse should be your most important and first human priority. What do your actions say? (I Peter 3:1-7)
- Children – So often we put our children before our spouses but if you are married, this is out of order. Love your children, spend time with them, train them to the love God. (Titus 2:4, Proverbs 22:6, Psalm 127:3)
- Your Family – God loves relationships. Honor your parents, love your family and spend time building/maintaining relationships. (Exodus 20:12, I Corin. 13:7, I John 4:19)
- Home – Pray and ask God what would you have me to do today regarding my home? What can you do to make your home sweeter? If the home is constantly out of order, it affects the entire family. (Titus 2:4)
- Work/Career – Whatever you do, do it as unto the Lord. (Colossians 3:23)
- Ministry – Ministry flows out of your life message and our life message becomes our ministry. Use the gifts that God has given you to serve others. (I Peter 4:10, Colossians 3:23)
What are your priorities? Are they in order? Pray about your plans and your priorities each day. Ask God to help you to put things in order.
Until next week . . .