Do you have a quiet and gentle spirit?
Have you ever said something to your spouse and later thought to yourself, “I should not have said that?” Maybe it was something that you should have said, but perhaps the way that you said it was not nice. Did you know that God cares about the way that you express yourself? It is not okay to say things any kind of way. This week I have been meditating on the words quiet and gentle. I believe that God is checking me on this, and I want to share it with you. Check yourself!
First of all, the Bible says that a quiet and gentle spirit is very precious in the sight of God. If this is very precious to God, shouldn’t this be important to us? I Peter 3:4-5 says, “Do not let your adornment be merely outward arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel– (4) rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, whit the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.” The word incorruptible is defined as; morally strong enough not to be persuaded to do something wrong.
Here are 10 points about being quiet and gentle:
- The Hebrew word for quiet is the word tam which literally means “mature.” You have to be mature to operate in a quiet and gentle spirit. Mature enough not to say everything that you are thinking. “Think about everything that you say, but don’t say everything that you are thinking.”
- The Hebrew word for gentle is tender, delicate and soft. It is a sensitivity of disposition and kindness that is founded on strength and prompted by love.
- Being gentle is demonstrating power without undue harshness.
- A quiet and gentle spirit is not easily provoked to anger.
- A quiet and gentle spirit puts up with injuries.
- A quiet and gentle-spirited woman can bear much with their husband and be in silence.
- A quiet and gentle spirit does not envy the gifts and graces of others.
- A quiet and gentle spirit is willing to be instructed and admonished by the meanest saint.
- A quiet and gentle spirit patiently bears
- A quiet and gentle spirit submits to the will of God.
Lord, please help us to be quiet and gentle from the inside out. Forgive us for the times that we have been harsh and unkind. Bless our words, actions, and our demeanor to please You. We can not achieve this goal without the help of Your Holy Spirit. Shape us and make us Lord, in Jesus’ name amen!
What is your email address? I have something to send you.
Excellent post Sister Carolyn!