“Maximize Your Marriage in 2019”
Happy New Year! This is my first post for 2019. We are 15 days into the new year, and I am sure you have thought about things that you want to accomplish. Hopefully, you have set some goals and made a list of things that you want to accomplish. Perhaps you even have a prayer list for 2019, many have started the year with prayer and fasting.
If you are married, I have a question for you; “Is your marriage on your prayer list?” My marriage certainly is, and as I thought about what I would like for God to do, I could sum it up with one word, MAXIMIZE! The dictionary defines Maximize as; to increase to the greatest possible amount or degree, to make the greatest. Lord please maximize my marriage! Make it what you want it to be, make it better to the greatest degree. Anybody with me on this one? Matthew 7:7 tells us to ask God!
I love acrostics so lets break down the word Maximize to get some action steps for 2019.
- M = Meet your spouse’s needs. (Ask your spouse the top 2-3 things that he/she needs from you on a regular basis, make it your business to meet their need) . Luke 6:31
- A = Ask God to help you on a daily basis. (Pray with your spouse and pray individually ) I Thessalonians 5: 16-18
- X = X out the past hurts, mistakes and forgive. Ephesians 4:32
- I = Intentional Intimacy (Get closer to each other, give the affection that is due to your spouse) I Corinthians 7:7
- M = Make time for each other. Be sure that your spouse is your #1 Human Priority. (Go on dates, have regular time together without distractions (put the phone, computer, tv and anything else away) Hebrews 13:4
- I = Imitate Christ. In other words, what would Jesus do? Operate in the fruits of the Spirit. Galatians 5:22-23 (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control)
- Z = Zest! To have zest is to impart flavor in your marriage. Keep it fresh, have some fun and add some flavor. Go somewhere different, wear something different or do it a different way. Add some Zest! Proverbs 5:18
- E = Everlasting Love – Love never fails! Follow God’s example in I Corinthians 13
Until next time . . .